Artisanal Bread - Easiest Recipe Ever!
This has to be the easiest bread recipe I’ve ever tried. There is no kneading or mess! All you need is a Dutch oven or heavy cast-iron casserole pot with a lid (5 litre size is ample).
- 1 ½ Cups Plain Flour (use good quality fine flour “00” type or Premium Brand)
- 1 ½ Cups Wholegrain or Wholemeal Flour (you can use just plain flour for this recipe)
- 1 Tablespoon active dry yeast (7g sachet)
- 2 Teaspoons salt
- 2 Teaspoons sugar (to feed the yeast)
- 1 ½ cups warm water (NOT hot as it will kill the yeast. Up to 55°C/130°F)
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil (this ingredient can be left out)
- Baking Paper
- Extra Flour for dusting (about 2 tablespoons)
Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl using a wooden spoon or spatula. Cover bowl with cling wrap and place in a warm location for 3-4 hours until it has approximately doubled in size. You can place the bowl in the sink with warm water and change the water when it cools if you do not have a warm place to allow the bread to rise. This recipe requires a dough that is not firm so don't be afraid to add the water, it will help the bread to rise.
Half an hour before the bread is ready place the Dutch oven (with lid on) into a preheated oven at 230°C/450°F (220° fan).
When the dough has risen use a spatula to scrape it out onto baking paper that has been dusted with flour. Sprinkle more flour on top of the dough then pick it up with the paper shape into a round loaf.
Lift with the baking paper and place it into the hot Dutch oven/ casserole dish.
Bake for 30 minutes in a hot oven (230°C) with the lid then a further 12 to 15 minutes with the lid off.
Remove from the Casserole pot and allow the bread to cool before cutting. This is very important because the center of the loaf will continue cooking after it has been removed from the oven. (Trust me on this, I’ve cut it too soon and it was doughy in the middle.)
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do and am sure it will impress your family and friends!
Enjoy and don’t forget to purchase a Fiddle Bow Knife, ideal for cutting your homemade artisanal bread!